Tuesday, February 3, 2009

New Favorite Cupcake :: Carrot Cake Cupcake with Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting

So sorry for the hiatus in blogging - John Mayer (cat version) has been sick and I've been a worried mother. I didn't want you think IBP was suffering a similar fate as Carmen's Best Week Ever.

In any case, I stayed home from work today to keep an eye on Mayer - I was stressing myself out so I decided to bake/cook to calm my nerves. I've been meaning to try this simple cupcake recipe and I already had all the ingredients in my apartment so it perfect.

I made a few adjustments to this recipe - I added a little extra ginger (about 1/2 teaspoon) and a tad bit less sugar (about 1/4 cup) to the frosting. I also added walnuts to the carrot cake batter - I love the extra crunch and nuttiness (PS I hate the word "nutty"). I would probably add some nutmeg in the future as well.

In any case, here are some pics of the results - they are actually really pretty and you can decorate them however you want. I kept mine simple:






































I gotta hand it to Epicurious - this is a sure-fire crowd pleaser.

Here is the recipe.. .enjoy!

Carrot Cupcakes with Ginger-Cream Cheese Icing

Batter:
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups finely grated peeled carrots
  • 1/4 cup drained canned crushed pineapple in juice
Icing:
  • 2 3-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
  • 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line twelve 1/3-cup muffin cups with paper liners. Sift first 5 ingredients into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat sugar, oil and eggs in large bowl until well blended. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture in 2 additions, beating until well blended after each addition. Mix in carrots and pineapple. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full.

Bake cupcakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Turn cupcakes out onto racks and cool completely. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; store at room temperature.)

Icing Directions:

Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until smooth. Add powdered sugar and ginger; beat until fluffy and smooth. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to room temperature, then beat until fluffy before using.)

Spread top of each cupcake with scant 3 tablespoons Ginger-Cream Cheese Icing.

DELICIOUS!