Sunday, May 17, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie (aka Cellulite)

I have a soft spot for all things butter so naturally Chicken Pot Pie is one of my favorites. For years now I  haven't let myself eat it. I saw myself in a downward spiral of fattening crust and creamy filling. Similar to that of a recovering alcoholic, I try to not put myself in the position of being around it, especially when famished. 

I'm not sure what possessed me to try making it on my own (previously I have been going to th
e Smith or the less classy, Marie Calendar's to get my fill) but I researched a recipe that seemed easy to make but wasn't too easy (i.e put a can of cream chicken soup in a ready-made crust) 

This recipe came out flakey and delicious. I tweaked it slightly but omitting potatoes (not sure I want so much starch in my pie) and adding a ton of crushed black pepp
ercorns to give it a little zing. Recipe below - enjoy! 

Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients: 
6 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
6 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup half and half (I used non-fat half and half) 
1 cup diced carrots, blanched
1 cup peas, blanched
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley 
Salt and Pepper
Ready-made crust (or make your own if you have the time) 

Directions: 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees - Grease 9-inch round baking pan. 

Melt butter in a large saute pan - add celery and onions. Season with Salt and Pepper

Stir in flour slowly for about 3-4 minutes to create a blond roux (a roux is used for thickening sauces, similar to cornstarch but with better results). Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook for another 5-6 minutes, or until sauce starts to thicken. Add half-and-half and continue to cook for another 4 minutes. Season with Salt and Pepper. Add Carrots, Peas, Parsley, and Chicken - stir thoroughly: 














Line the baking pan with one side of the crust - pour filling in: 







Place the top crush on top of the filling. Carefully tuck the overlapping crust into the pan forming a thick edge. Crimp the edges of the pan and place on a baking sheet. Place the sheet in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust if golden brown. 

I have to say, she's a beaut. Below are pics of both the whole pie and her insides (if you're wondering, that was intended to sound gross): 








No comments: