Wednesday, February 18, 2009

More stuff on Fabio

It wouldn't be like me to find an article on Fabio and not post it out to the world.

Eater just posted an article with some fun facts about Fabio:

SPOTLIGHT ON ... FABIO VIVIANI

Age: 30.

Hometown: Florence, Italy.

Did he grow up eating good food? Yes. Lots of bread and pasta, whole milk, red meat, fish and veggies.

Favorite things to eat and drink:
Rib-eye steak; any fresh egg noodle pasta; a glass of cold whole milk
in the morning; a nice glass of red wine from the Chianti area at
night. "Everyday I drink three tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. I
haven't missed a day since I was 3 years old. My cholesterol is 137."

What he keeps in his kitchen:
Extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh basil (he grows it),
heirloom tomatoes, dried De Cecco (brand) pasta, arborio rice.

Favorite dishes to cook/serve at his restaurant: Roasted mushroom risotto, butternut squash ravioli, dry-aged prime beef steaks. "I feed customers the way I like to eat."

Favorite junk foods:
Nutella (by the spoonful) and homemade rich chocolate
gelato. "I dare
anybody to call Nutella junk, because I grew up with it." He eats only
Nutella imported from Italy (it is made with vegetable oil, not
hydrogenated oil like the product sold in the United States, he notes,
but it tastes the same).

Favorite gadget: A pair of tongs. "They are an extension of my own arm."

Pet peeve: When a restaurant customer complains on a Saturday night that the entree is
not served within 20 minutes of ordering. "Quality needs time," he says.

Food he dislikes: Cilantro.

Favorite restaurant: Il Pallaio, Florence, Italy, a typical rustic Italian trattoria.

Favorite cookbooks: "Jamie's Italy," by Jamie Oliver.

Hobbies: Growing produce, including tomatoes and herbs; fishing; riding his Ducati motorbike on Sundays.

Favorite music: Italian rock; Christmas songs.

The worst part of being a chef/restaurateur:
"If you really cook through the day and nighttime, you smell like fry
oil." But the best part is that if the restaurant is successful, you
can hire a chef "and he smells like fry oil."

Tips for a good life: "Eat a lot, laugh a lot, and have a lot of sex."

Two quick comments -he dislikes like cilantro? I feel like I've been shot in the heart with a tetanus infected arrow. I literally feel like two lovers are pulling me in opposite directions. Also, his tips for a good life - I love it. Especially the part about having lots of sex with me (Editor's note: I added the "with me" part)

Also, hi - best picture ever:

No comments: