Monday, August 23, 2010

Trying not to be a fatass: Turkey Meatloaf and Cauliflower Mash

It's been awhile since I've updated (and I say this every time) - I've been consumed with working out and losing weight which is pretty much the arch enemy of my life long goal to deep fry all my food. For those of you who haven't seen me in forever, I have been crutching around Manhattan in a boot and children's crutches since I fractured 5 bones about 2 months ago. I just got the boot off a few weeks ago so now I'm raring to go and have 4 upcoming races I'm training for! That being sad, shaving of the old LBs will certainly help my time so I've been exploring less fatty fat ass things to eat while not starving myself.

To date I've lost 13 lbs since I've gotten on the starvation train - I'm hoping I can maintain it with fake comfort food like this Turkey Meatloaf and Cauliflower Mash. The meatloaf is really delicious and pretty healthy (nutritional info can be found below the recipe) and the cauliflower mash is pretty good too (although not nearly as good as real mashed potatoes) - you can find many variations of the recipe that taste better but in my experience better taste means more cheese and butter. I mean, you might as well just eat real mashed potatoes at that point. My version has about 29 calories per serving and is pretty low-carb. Enjoy!

Healthy Turkey Meatloaf

Serves 6










Ingredients
3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup skim milk
1 medium onion, peeled
2 pounds ground turkey breast
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce


Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the oats and milk. Thinly slice 1/4 of the onion and set aside. Finely chop the remaining onion. In a large bowl combine the turkey, oat mixture, chopped onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, salt and a few grinds of pepper. Mix just until well combined.
3. Transfer the mixture to a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and shape into a loaf about 5 inches wide and 2 1/2 inches high. Pour the tomato sauce over the meatloaf and sprinkle with the sliced onions. Bake for about 1 hour or until an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees.F.
4.
Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 to15 minutes before slicing.

Cauliflower Mash
Serves 6

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs of cauliflower, cut into florets
3 Cloves Peeled Garllic
2 cans (14 oz ea) Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
2 TBS chopped Fresh Chives

Salt and Pepper to taste


Directions
1. In a large saucepan, combine cauliflower, garlic and broth. If cauliflower is not completely covered by broth, add water until just covered
2.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium low.
3.
Let simmer for 12 mintes, or until cauliflower is tender.
4.
Drain; reserve 2TBS of liquid.
5.
In food processore, pulse cauliflower and garlic until smooth; add 1-2 TBS of reserved liquid if mixture is dry.
6.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Just before serving stir in chives. Serve warm
7. Optional: Serve with Cheese or other goodness to make it more tasty!

Nutritional Info:

Turkey Meatloaf:
Calories per serving: 233
Fat: 9.2g
Carbs: 15.2g
Protein: 23.4g
Dietary Fiber: 2.1g

Cauliflower Mash:
Calories per serving: 28.5
Fat: 0.2g
Carbs: 5.1g
Protein: 2.9g
Dietary Fiber: 2.1g

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Slightly off topic, but I just LOVE burned popcorns =)

Carl - http://www.antisocial-carl.blogspot.com